The student news site of Highland High School

The Wall

Filed under Showcase

A Letter to My 9th Grade Self

What’s up, fourteen-year old Gabe?

It’s me…us…you in the future; we’re seventeen now, and a lot has changed. There are so many things I can talk about and give you advice on, but I’ll keep it to a few things you’ll find the most interesting.

The first thing I want to tell you about is your height. Seriously bro, just wait a few more months – it will get better. It will feel great to finally not be the short kid anymore. The best part is being taller than people that used to cut on you for being short. I’ll be honest and say that unfortunately, we’ll probably never be over six feet tall, but we’re pretty close and I’m still growing now. Our growth probably won’t last much longer, but being 5’9 isn’t bad. We’re taller than some of our friends, most girls, and now nobody really towers over us anymore.

The next thing I want to tell you about is very important to me now. I never really knew about this, so it’s very fascinating to learn all this new information we knew nothing about. What I’m talking about is a combination of learning to eat better and working out. Do me a favor and as soon as you’re done reading this, go do some research on how to eat to get leaner. You’ll learn so much and it will have a huge impact on your life. It will improve your athletic performance, physique, and your life in general. I’ve started working out  seriously this past year, and I’ve gotten stronger, I look better, and I’ve become much better at sports. Speaking of sports, one thing you really need to do now is work on improving your speed. The days in elementary and middle school where you are way faster than most people are over. Now most people are near or on par with your speed. Go to YouTube and look up Mark Parsons; he is a former NFL player who has a lot to teach, and he has a link to a speed training regimen that will really help your speed increase. Back to eating right though, because I don’t feel like I’ve done a good enough job talking about this. You can work out all you want, but you’ll never really get the results you want if you don’t eat to support your workouts. Again, do some research on eating healthier. There is an insane amount of knowledge to find if you listen to me. This will become so important to you, and every day I count calories and track how much fat, protein, and carbs I eat. Seriously, you’d have to be stupid to not listen to me.

The last thing I want to tell you about is something that doesn’t really seem like much, but will really be worth it. Trust me. GROW OUT YOUR HAIR. Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about. It will take a little while for it to happen, but I’m telling you, girls will notice. It will only take like 5 or 6 months for the attention to start coming in. I might just be tripping, but since I’ve started growing out my hair, I’ve noticed a difference in the attention I’ve gotten from girls. Look at people with dreads, too; eventually you’ll want them, and believe me, they’re dope when you have them. You’ll look so much better with longer hair, and you’ll never want to go back. It’s been over 25 months since I cut my hair as low as you have yours, and I don’t ever plan on cutting it low again.