The student news site of Highland High School

The Wall

Filed under Showcase

A Letter to My 9th Grade Self

Dear Freshman Self,

Well, look at you. 14 years old and ready to enter the doors of Highland High School. But don’t be nervous because there’s nothing to worry about. You have your friends and they will be with you every step of the way. But don’t forget their worth. Treat them as you would want to be treated. Invite everyone to every event. It doesn’t matter if certain people don’t get along because odds are they will get past their personal drama and become friends. Be positive. Work as hard as you possibly can, especially in geometry. Don’t give up on proofs and always study. If you have a test study. Even if you don’t like something study it. Work hard.

Go to every party and hang out with all your friends every possible time you can. You don’t know when you will see someone next. Friendships die off but memories last forever. Be happy for your friends when they go to college. Don’t make them feel bad for you when you are the only one left behind. You will always make new friends.

Don’t be mad if you get 2nd place; the girl next to you probably worked just as hard. Use that as an example for motivation. Don’t feel judged if your dress is “too tight” for homecoming because odds are you aren’t the only one feeling that way. If you win homecoming or prom princess, smile. If you lose, smile even bigger because odds are your best friend won. When prom comes around, remain calm – everything will work out. Everything may not go as you planned; however, it will be a great time. Don’t let yourself get out of control and don’t forget to eat at prom. (I’m sure the food is really good.) Take a ton of pictures and don’t feel like you’re going overboard with anything because everything in high school only happens once. Remember that every person you know is in your life for a reason. Some leave us much too soon, but they touched lives in some way or another.

Senior year will roll around and then the stress will start. But don’t let it consume you; enjoy your final year. Love cheering at every football and basketball game. Most of all, enjoy your senior goodbye. Also, do not get caught up with anything that does not make you happy. If you have to second guess yourself about a boy, move on. There are so many quality boys around you. Don’t just pick the indecisive ones. Don’t get people involved in your business. It’s ok for you to tell your close friends things, but once you tell the wrong people your information it gets spread around the school like peanut butter and jelly. Just do your homework, go to sleep at a decent time, and love your friends, and I promise you it will be a great time. You will not only learn many life lessons,  but you will learn a lot about yourself.

Sincerely,

Your Older Self