The student news site of Highland High School

The Wall

Filed under Senior Spotlight

Jason Chlus Has Engineered a Successful High School Career

Jason Chlus’ high school career is coming to a close and he’s excited for what his future may hold. Jason has been an influential member of Highland High School on and off the field these past four years. He has mastered balancing his academic and athletic responsibilities. A member of National Honor Society, Chlus has maintained 90s and above in every subject. All subjects of math, especially calculus, have pushed him to work hard and be challenged. His favorite teachers here at Highland can be found in the science and math fields. He says, “The Highland math and science teachers have really challenged me, and I believe that will be very rewarding for my future.” In the near future Jason is looking to attend Villanova, Clarkson, or Stevens Tech in hope of attaining a software engineer degree. His hopes and dreams for the future are graduating college and becoming a successful engineer.

Jason is not only seen in the halls of Highland High School, but can be found on the field playing football and lacrosse. He also played two years of JV basketball. Jason’s football career began when he was very young, as he dominated through his Pop Warner career. He continued his talents to his modified years, playing linebacker and leading the Huskies to an undefeated record his 8th grade season. He played one year of JV before being called up to varsity as a sophomore to start at linebacker for the Huskies. He tallied 101 tackles that season. The next season, he bested that number, registering 102 tackles en route to a 6-4 record. Jason was a senior starter and captain for the Huskies this season. He added 95 tackles, but also missed two games due to injury. He was awarded Linebacker of the Year this season for all of Section 9. Jason has also played lacrosse the past three seasons, and will continue this season. He starts on defense for the Huskies and is a two-time sectional champion in lacrosse. Through Jason’s individual and team accomplishments, he has truly learned what it’s like being on a successful team. Jason is very dedicated to whatever he does and gives his full effort on the field. He’s very tough and gritty, with impeccable skill and talent. Jason, before games, has always said, “When the lights come on, the show starts.” His passion and dedication are completely displayed through this quote.

Jason’s talents don’t end on the field, as he brings them to the classroom, as well. Chlus will be graduating Highland High School with 40 college credits. He challenged himself in high school by taking difficult college courses such as chemistry, calculus, and physics. Jason is also our class treasurer. He credits most of success to his mom always pushing him to become a better student. Jason says what truly helped him in high school was his mom constantly telling him to do his homework. Jason has been an active and important member of our High School community. Jason would like to say, “Overall, high school was really fun and enjoyable. I loved going to a small school where everyone knew everyone. I had a ton of great opportunities, socially and intellectually.” Jason’s high school career will come to an end this June, and I’m sure his humor, intelligence, and athleticism will be missed among his friends, teachers, and coaches.