The student news site of Highland High School

The Wall

Filed under Senior Spotlight

El español está en el futuro para Nikayla Schlosser

Nikayla Schlosser, an excellent student, is very excited and very much looking forward to being handed her diploma. Although Nik is not sure where she will be attending school this coming fall, she plans to dual major in education, and the Spanish language.

Nikayla is proud of her academic achievements, and hopes for the same for this coming fall. Nikayla has maintained a 90 and above average in every class throughout all four years, while taking 11 college/ AP courses  along the way, allowing her to graduate with 45 college credits . Her hard work has paid off, and she is proud to be a part of the National Honor Society and Spanish Honor Society. Nikayala is also very active in our school, as well, having been a part of the Yearbook club for four years, spending her final year as an editor. She also participates in Interact Club, and enjoys Ski Club with Mr. Watts during the season. Nikayla has also been a part of the the softball team during all four spring seasons here at Highland. A talented outfielder and powerful hitter, she is very excited for this upcoming season.  

Nikayla’s favorite subject is Spanish, something she excels in and plans to incorporate into her future. Nik said her favorite teacher is Ms. Otis. “Spanish has always come easy to me. I love the class because the beginning of class is so funny when we go around the room and talk about the week (and if it not, you’re getting called on).  The constant variety of activities in class has made it so it was never boring.”

Schlosser has also participated in activities outside of school as well. Nik has been a part of Girl Scouts for 10 years, and received the bronze and silver award. Nikayala has also found a love for acting. “I like acting because it has helped me get out of my shell, and the people are so much fun to be around.”  She started  taking weekend classes at Stage to Screen Acting Company, and has now been featured in 6 shows: Into the Woods, Annie, Grease, Legally Blonde, and Charlie Brown Christmas. She has just begun rehearsals for their newest show, Beauty and the Beast, and is very excited to see what is next to come.

Nikayala is very excited, and hopeful, for her years at college. She would like to become a Spanish teacher, or work in a field where she is able to use the language. Nik also wants to study abroad, and go back to Spain to study more of the language and culture. And wherever she’s decides to go to school, Nikayla wants to maintain above a 3.0 GPA.