The student news site of Highland High School

The Wall

Filed under Senior Spotlight

The Man, The Myth, The Legend… The Murph.

Picasa

Picasa

Evan Murphy, one of the coolest guys to walk the halls of HHS, is very excited to finally walk at graduation. Evan is very excited to be ending his senior year with all of his friends, and is even more excited to start his next four years at college. Evan is ecstatic to be accepted to his first choice, Temple University, but will wait to see if other offers come his way. Murphy plans to major in marketing, and be nothing less than successful.

Through Evan’s years here at Highland, he has been a hardworking student, and an active member in school. Evan is proud to say he is part of the National Honor Society, Interact Club, and Student Council, all in addition to being the class president for three years. “I’d have to say that it’s really just an honor to be able to represent and be chosen by the best class to come through Highland. I’ve learned a lot through running and being the class president, and for that I’m also very thankful”. Although Evan has never had a favorite subject, he has always had a favorite teacher, the one and only Mr. Barry Ranalli. “ Favorite teacher- Barry Ranalli. He’s had the greatest impact on me. He motivated me to not be intimidated by anything and he urged me to get involved in anything I want to do in high school because it’ll open me up to new people and perspectives.”

Murphy has also been a part of three varsity sports. Murphy has been participating in cross country for four years, (three of which he was a captain), varsity basketball, and three years in track and field. Evan is a dedicated athlete, and has valued his time being a Husky. “Being a captain and being the president have really complimented each other. Learning to be patient as a captain and working with others to improve really helps when I work with others as the president. Being a captain has taught me so much about being a leader and what qualities it takes to be a good one. I’m of course by no means perfect, but being in leaderships roles in high school has taught me patience, perspective, and confidence, which will help way beyond graduation in college and out in the real world.”

When asked about his hopes and plans for the future, Murphy answered confidently, “In Columbia there’s a man by the name of Jose Miguel Sokoloff whose job it is to creatively advertise to convince thousands of guerrilla fighters living in forests, involved in a 52 year old civil war of sorts, to demobilize and come back “home” peacefully” so that there’s not so much division in Columbia anymore. They haven’t all returned but many have returned to families that they haven’t seen in decades. So for example, one of his projects was around Christmas time, they found one of the guerrilla strongholds and they wrapped the trees with lights and a big banner. They rigged it with a motion detector so when the fighters got there and set it off, the lights in all the trees lit up and a banner dropped saying “If Christmas can come to the jungle, you can come home. Demobilize.  At Christmas, everything is possible.” See, I don’t wanna work for the rest of my life trying to use my degree to sell board games, or a brand or something. THAT’S what I want to do. Maybe not that exactly, but I want to use my creativity, degree, and experience to actually make an impact on people.”  Evan has wanted to thank the people that have made his years at Highland the greatest, from Jose Miguel Sokoloff to Mr. Ranalli and Rimone the European bus driver, as well as all of his friends.

As Evan’s final days are marked here at Highland, he is overcome with excitement for his future to come. Murph will forever have pride in his Husky heritage, and will carry the things he learned here throughout life. His name will always be remembered here at Highland, and we are confident that he will be the exceptional, creative leader wherever his future takes him. Evan Murphy- The Man, The Myth, The Legend.