The student news site of Highland High School

The Wall

Filed under Senior Spotlight

Taylor Farino: From Husky to Bobcat

Taylor Farino is crossing off the days until her graduation from Highland High School, a bitter-sweet day in which she will end her four year journey at Highland, to embark on an adventure as a Bobcat at the University of Quinnipiac. From the blue and gold Huskies to the blue and gold Bobcats,  Farino, I am sure, will excel in and out of the classroom. Next fall at Quinnipiac, Farino will study Nursing concentrated in pediatrics. Her main goal is to become a pediatric oncologist nurse practitioner. She would like to work at Sloan Kettering cancer center. Tay is very organized and prepared for her future, and I’m sure she will excel in all aspects.

If you have been to Highland High School I am sure you have seen Taylor around. She is very involved in her school and always supports the Huskies. From being a three sport athlete to balancing a challenging college-level class schedule, Tay has what it takes to be successful. She has taken thirteen college classes for a total of 44 college credits. Farino has not only taken these college courses, but excelled in them. She is a part of the National Honor Society, which is a competitive club in which a student needs to maintain a high average, and needs to have character in and out of the classroom. When asked about her favorite class, she replied, “My favorite class is biology because I like the study of the human body and why things happen the way they do. I find it all really interesting”. Currently Taylor is taking College/AP Biology; it is widely known as one of the most challenging classes offered at Highland, but she enjoys it and learns a lot from it. When asked about her favorite teacher here at Highland, she replied, “Mr Ranalli, because he is just overall the best teacher and truly cares about his students and about our futures. He has always pushed me to be the best I can be and he has never given up on me. In all aspects of teaching he was truly my favorite”. She credits Mr. Ranalli for really helping her achieve her goal, to attend Quinnipiac.

What makes Farino so successful does not only have to do with what goes on in the classroom. She is very involved in the community and also balances her off-time working. She has an impeccable work ethic. In balancing her time as an athlete, student, and worker, Farino has what it takes for a successful future. She has been involved in several clubs and activities at our school as well. She has been a student council member the past two years. She also had been the secretary for the Junior and Senior class the past two years. She also enjoys volunteering and has been involved in our school’s Interact club for the past four years. As I mentioned before, Farino has been a part of the National Honor Society, but also she is a part of the Spanish Honor Society. Aside from her high school accolades, she works on the weekends and over the summer. Every weekend you can go to Bagel and Bites and see Tay working the register or cutting bagels; she also babysits when available. During the summer she works as a lifeguard. She is very busy, while remaining organized and prepared.

Farino is a three sport athlete, excelling in volleyball, basketball, and softball. Her favorite sport is volleyball, she says. “I love the momentum of the game. I really enjoyed playing with my friends, it was a great time”. She has played volleyball the past four seasons, three of them on varsity. She was the captain of the volleyball team her senior year. Taylor has played basketball each of her four winters at Highland High School. During three of her four years she was on the varsity team. During her freshman season she was called up and was a part of their Section 9 title.  Tay states, “One of my favorite things about playing basketball last year was that I felt like I was part of a family. Everyone on my team bonded and we all grew together. We went 7-0 in the beginning which was great considering we had a new coach and there was a lot of pressure. Katie McCutchen is someone I have always looked up to during my years playing because she loves the game so much and wants everyone to be the best they can; she is very helpful and was always giving me advice and different ways to look at the game.” In the spring, Tay has played softball the last three seasons, two of them on varsity. She is ready for softball this upcoming spring.
As Farino’s High School career comes to an end, she is preparing for her journey at Quinnipiac University. I am sure Tay will be missed among her peers and teachers here at Highland. From being a Huskie to a Bobcat, I am sure Farino will continue her outstanding achievements. Taylor will continue to be active in her community, wherever that may be. I know that she will be successful in any of her endeavors of her life. Her hard working mentality to balance her schoolwork, sports, and job has her prepared for whatever she wants to do in life.