The student news site of Highland High School

The Wall

Filed under Senior Spotlight

Success On and Off the Field: Frank Alfonso Does It All

Frank Alfonso is ready to graduate from Highland High School more than ever before. With graduation coming up just around the corner, he is eager to finally start his next chapter in  life. Although Frank is not exactly sure what college he will be attending, Clemson University, Marist, the University of Tampa, and Seton Hall are a few he has his eyes on. Dual majoring in Finance and Sports management, Frank will balance out his forever-love of baseball and his accelerating knowledge of math.

Alfonso has a lot to be proud of; whether it’s his success in academics or athletics, he is always coming out on top. Alfonso will soon find out his ranking in his class – first or second – which is a huge accomplishment and something he has worked hard for throughout high school. Alfonso has shown excellence in every class, but his favorite will always be math. “ I like math a lot because there is always a definite answer, I can always check my work and know when I have answered the question correctly.” Alfonso has completed 15 college/ AP classes, and will graduate with 52 college credits. He has also been a member of Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, Mathletes, Interact Club, FED challenge and Baseball Club.

Alfonso has been a scholar athlete throughout his 4 years of high school, as well, and been a part of 4 varsity sports throughout his high school career: football, baseball, basketball, and bowling. Alfonso was a fullback/defensive end for the football team, and his favorite memory was the last time he touched the ball, running for 134 yards and a touchdown in the team’s season finale against Dover. For the three years he played basketball, he was a forward, and loved the momentum of the game. His senior year, he decided to change it up and join the bowling team. “ Bowling is something I never thought I would try, but I actually really enjoy it. I have a lot of fun, and Coach Eckert has helped me improve a lot. She’s a good coach.”  Frank has now  been able to bowl an average of 140, something he is very proud of. And last but not least, Frank has enjoyed being a part of Varsity Baseball for 3 years. Baseball has always been Frank’s favorite sport, and he has a always had a love for it. Frank starts for the Highland Huskies as the first baseman, and occasionally catches when needed. Last season, Alfonso batted a .377, with 20 RBI’s and 1 home run. His favorite memory of being a part of the Huskies was when they reined in the Section 9 championship against defending champs, Spackenkill. “Winning sections with all of my friends was such a great feeling. We worked really hard, and it was really satisfying to see our hard work pay off.” Alfonso also said that Coach Buanamano was a huge part of the team’s success. “ Buan has put a lot of work into us, and he has been a great coach all around.”  

As Alfonso’s accomplishments on and off the field come to an end, he is very excited, and nervous for what the future has in store. His dream is to one day be a General Manager for an MLB team, or be affiliated with MLB in the financial field. Alfonso’s hard working career throughout school, as well as on the field, is one to be remembered, and reminds us that anything is possible when you put the work in.