The student news site of Highland High School

The Wall

Filed under The Arts

Logic: City of Stars

The song “City of Stars” by Logic is off his 2015 album, The Incredible True Story. It’s one of the most interesting and real songs from that album. I’m going to discuss this song in three separate parts: first the concept, then the lyrics, and finally instrumentals, cohesiveness, and flow.

Part I: Concept

The concept of “City of Stars” is basically Logic trying to compare his breaking away from the media and all of its negativity and opinions with breaking up with a girl. In the first part of the song he says, “I know that you think this song is for you/I used to long for you and adore you/My life was just fine way back before you/Now when you reach out I just ignore you/Cause this ain’t a love song/this is a ‘so long.’”

When I first listened to this song, I genuinely thought it could be about a girl. I compare listening to this song over again to watching a movie that you already know the ending to, and seeing all of the connections that you missed the first time. Hearing the lines that were once seemingly about a girl now make perfect sense, and reflect Logic as a person completely: he does what he wants and doesn’t mess with anyone. He then moves to a bridge where he says, “I know that I’ve been living in a city of stars/Where there’s flying cars/A brand new home for everyone/And even life on Mars.” In other words, he’s been living in a fantasy world where the media means everything to him and dictates his every move as an artist. The second verse then comes in more of a classic Logic rap fashion. The beat switches up, and so does Bobby’s flow. In this verse, he talks about how his label undershipped his debut album, and about being judged by his skin color (he’s white, but has a black father). This verse touches on several societal problems from which he plans to distance himself as he stops conforming to the media and public opinion.

Part II: Lyrics

The lyricism in this song is pretty incredible. Although it isn’t particularly fast or complex, Logic does a great job rapping what’s basically an unknown double entendre for the entire first verse. As he raps about what seems to be a lover, it turns out to be the media and public opinion. You don’t know this, of course, until you reach the second verse of the song. The second verse contains some witty wordplay to go with Logic’s amazing flow. For example, “Two words, Mos Def in my headphones/Black on one side, now I’m in another zone.” I found this to be a funny play on Mos Def’s album, Black on Two Sides, as well as Logic’s being biracial. “I love hip-hop and I hate hip-hop/Cause people that love Pac hope that Drake gets shot/Cause he raps about money and b****** for heaven’s sake/Pac did the same s***, just on a drum break.” These lines are great in the sense that Logic doesn’t intend to discredit either artist, but is trying to say, simply, that everyone talks about b******, so people should just shut up and enjoy the music.

Part III: Flow, Instrumentals, & Cohesiveness

This entire album is based on the concept of space and intergalactic travel, so this song, in my opinion, fits perfectly. The instrumentals include some swinging drum pockets that sound like spaceships from the Jetsons, and an orchestral, dramatic undertone. It gels almost seamlessly with the next song due to a series of strategically placed blips that you may not notice on the first listen, but you know that it sounds amazing. The flow in this song is a bit different from most other Logic songs. The use of Autotune made it seem very smooth throughout the first verse, and fits perfectly with the intro music. The second verse then gets thrown in with an amazingly executed transition in the beat. Once I heard Logic come in with a line like, “Tougher than raw denim/My flow you can’t identify/Talib said it best back in the day/We just tryin’ to get by,” I was mesmerized by the way he could spit it over such a melodic beat. Overall, it’s a great track off of Logic’s album, and I hope he continues to amaze me as he has for the past year and a half.